04 December 2015

Pattern Play

I've been experimenting with pattern in the studio lately. I designed and made some large blocks for block printing.


Often the first thing I'll do with a new block is print it out with black paint on white paper to play with the repeats and secondary designs.


Next I'll test out some paint colors on colored backgrounds. I start with white fabric and paint a wash of acrylic ink and water to achieve the color I want. Once the background is dry, I'll mix and apply paint to my block and start printing. Here are some recents results:




As you can see, I like to keep the colors fairly close in family, or neighbors on the color wheel. These designs will end up as home decor items (pillows, lamps, etc), wallpaper, and more. I think the rabbits are my favorites so far!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the black and white new block.
Carole Hoffman

Franki Kohler said...

These are great. LOVE the rabbits!