09 June 2008

Brazenly Radiant Art and positive energy

After finishing a week filled with disappointment, frustration and stress, I'm starting off this week with some art and positive energy. I'm donating a 5" x 7" piece to Fiber On A Whim's Brazenly Radiant Art auction to benefit the Atlanta Breast Cancer Challenge. The auction starts June 16 at the Fiber On A Whim website, please consider donating or purchasing a piece for this very worthy cause.


Continuing my quest for that positive energy and an appreciation of the little things, I got out the hummingbird feeder my daughter had given me a couple of years ago. I had forgotten how much I loved it. Our house has no eaves or porches from which to hang traditional feeders, but this little feeder sits on a metal stake and nestles among the flowers in the garden.


It's made in Mexico from recycled glass and I tracked it down online and discovered that it comes in other colors too, so of course, I ordered a few more. Aren't they pretty? They look very sculptural and when the hummingbirds find them it will be such a treat.


Yesterday I also continued our hallway renovation project. I removed a godawfully ugly wall sconce and changed it to a ceiling tracklight fixture on the same switch. Now we have another small wall free and clear to hang a piece of art (and the ugly sconce is gone, gone, gone!) While removing the sconce I discovered that the previous owners of our house had done a little "creative" wiring (i.e. unsafe, not up to code, forehead-smackingly stupid) to it, so even though I wasn't aware of it all this time, I slept better last night knowing the wiring was correct and safe now. Of course, finding (and accidentally picking up) the mouse skeleton while re-wiring the ceiling box (in the attic, in 98 degree heat, oof) was more than a little skeevy. And yes, to the people who've asked, I do simple wiring - adding switches, outlets and light fixtures when needed. It's amazing what a girl can do with the right tools and a couple of good books!

3 comments:

Carol Sloan said...

Great piece ,love the colors! I finally finished my piece for them, using the appliqued rose. Go have a peek if you have time!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

beautiful art, beautiful hummingbird feeders.... keeping fingers crossed hummies will come...

Anonymous said...

You made me do a little online shopping! I'm a hummer fan, so just had to have a couple of those glass feeders!