13 February 2010

La Garza

Lotería Collage Project



19 La Garza (the heron)

I was all excited to get back to my loteria project and I laid out this block and stitched and stamped away and stepped back happily only to realize that La Garza means the heron in English, not Flamingo, like I stamped along the lower edge. So here's my conundrum: do I re-do the block because, although a flamingo is a type heron (I think), the translation of the Spanish word is not technically correct or do I leave it alone and risk looking silly? Oof.

7 comments:

Sarah E. said...

Jane, you could go with artistic license and leave it alone...it's so lovely!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

i am SO happy to see you posting again!
I say a. leave as is... or
b. print flamingo on a strip of paper and glue over the la garza!

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I like Natalya's thinking! But what I was going to say before I clicked comment was leave it and move forward! (Unless you've got a buyer who's waiting for these and would be perturbed by the mis-translation of sorts). It's so nice to see you back at work here, don't lose the momentum!

Terry Grant said...

What a dilemma! If it were me it would drive me crazy forever to know that I had named it wrong and I would either destroy the whole thing or change it. But that is me--a little obsessive about these things. (Not proud of that--I'm working on it) If the heron really looked like a flamingo it would be one thing, but the beak is just all wrong. Nutz. I'm not sure this is what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Fliss said...

I think you should leave it as it is. I agree with Sarah-artistic license rules OK!
Really beautiful piece of work and love the colours and textures.

Joyce said...

I'd leave it and tell anyone who asked that it was a trick to see who was smart enough to notice.

Karen M said...

I'm with Terry. This would always be nibbling at my mind. I wouldn't destroy it, though. Maybe print "Heron" on a sheer, and place that over "Flamingo". Problem is fixed, and it adds an extra layer, a "secret", (and maybe an extra smile) to your story. OK, maybe not so secret, but we won't tell....