08 August 2008

Otherworldly visitor

Okay, I know it's not really from another world, but it sure looks like it is. This remarkable little mushroom appeared overnight growing next to a plant in my studio.



I moved the pot into the living room to take advantage of the light from the skylight for photography (ignore the dog toy under the couch and the dog cookie crumbs on the floor please, this is where Pixie hangs out). Is it poisonous? Probably, the really colorful, pretty creatures usually are... Does anyone know what the heck this thing is??



And how it got into my studio?



It's actually really beautiful close-up and the texture is amazing. It's quite a phallic-looking thing too, isn't it?



Nature is quite extraordinary!

UPDATE: The mushroom is a Lepiota lutea, also known as a flower pot parasol, I kid you not!

4 comments:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Hi Jane! I don't know what it is, but when I was housesitting for a neighbor, I saw that she had them growing in several of her house plants, too. They must be a variety that likes a cool, moist environment.

my croft said...

I have no idea what that is, but I expect that you could email the research/library folks at a botanical garden and they'd be able to say "Oh, yeah, that's the [insert Latin for 'funky houseplant mushroom']."

jane dávila said...

UPDATE: The mushroom is a Lepiota lutea, also known as a flower pot parasol, I kid you not!

I Googled "yellow mushroom in flower pot" and lo and behold, there it was! Google knows everything...

Deb Lacativa said...

I have a few too! They spring up in my potted jasmine if I ignore them too long. next time, I'll get pictures.