20 August 2007

Progress! Media Storage

I went to IKEA last week with my favorite sister (okay, she's my only sister, but she's still my favorite!) and picked up six magazine holders and thought they'd be perfect for back issues of Quilting Arts, Cloth Paper Scissors, FiberArts and Surface Design. I started this piece yesterday afternoon and nearly finished today. It's a media cart, kind of coffee table-sized with room on one side for the magazine holders and a shallower space on the other side that is waiting for a piece of custom-cut acrylic. I tried to tell the nice man at the glass store that I'd really, really like it ready for tomorrow, but my urgency was not, alas, his urgency. So you'll have to wait for next week to see the other side (hey, if I have to practice patience, you have to too). I added wheels to the bottom so I can move it around or just out of the way.

And because the "law of flat surfaces" is still in effect in my studio, this is what happened as soon as the finish on the top was dry. I'm okay with this because it keeps these supplies handy, I wasn't going to use the top of this for anything in particular anyway, and why fight nature? I also cut, edged and sealed the doors for the window seat. Tomorrow I'll install the doors and their handles.

I've been on a quest for the "perfect fabric" for the window seat cushion and I may have found it. I ordered this gorgeous Kokka home-dec fabric this morning and hopefully it will arrive by Wednesday. And even more hopefully the colors and scale will be just right. I've already bought the foam for the cushion so now I'll have to see about clearing off space on my cutting mat and around my sewing machine - currently cluttered with a cordless drill, sandpaper in several grits, boxes of nails for the nail gun, the iron for the veneer tape, a bunch of stuff that came back from taping the Quilt Show in CO (and has yet to be put away), among many, many other things. More tomorrow...

1 comment:

Tomme said...

Have I mentioned lately that you simply amaze me? I'm channeling Garth, chanting "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!" while bowing repeatedly.