30 August 2007

Recycle, reuse, repurpose

This is a picture of the table that was in my parents' kitchen for most of my childhood. It's a solid, sturdy table with a maple butcher-block top and it's lived in my studio for the last five years or so. I'm recycling the top into the top of my new storage/work station. Imagine a "kitchen island" on wheels with storage on three sides and you'll have a fair idea of where I'm going. I removed the legs and flipped the top face down on the floor of my studio. I only want to drill holes into the underside, so it's easier to construct the base completely upside down.

This is one side with its dividers in place. There will be shelves but they aren't cut yet.

This is the opposite long side, also waiting for shelves.

And this is one short side with its shelves in place. Once the wheels are attached I'll need to find a football team to help me turn it right side up. This magilla is heavy!! My husband was mumbling something about adding a support beam in the basement under my studio, which might not be a bad idea. I'd hate to find out the hard way that the floor couldn't support the weight of this fully loaded.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's a very clever recycle and it's going to be pretty as well!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

thanks for commenting Jane!
and your studio furniture is awe inspiring, i can't wait to see the whole place all set up...

Linda said...

When are you coming with your tools to my studio? I am your favorite sister after all!